Traveling in the past is possible, and also very simple, thanks to Google Maps. Google’s map platform provides access to its image history from previous years so users can see how their streets, cities, and any area in general were like. If you’ve always been curious to see images from the past, Google Maps has them available to you.
We’re not surprised that a Google service has this feature, since we already knew you can travel back in time with Google Earth. However, we assure you that with Maps it is much easier, since it does not require the installation of any program on your computer. Let’s see how to do it step by step and with screenshots so that you do the process at the same time as us.
How to change the date in Google Maps to see images from previous years
To travel in the past with Google Maps, we just have to change the date of the images that we see in Street View mode. According to our checks, it is only possible to use this function in the desktop version of Google Maps, so open yours, we’re going on a trip. Below are the steps to follow. If you want to see the captures big, just click on them.
- Open Google Maps in your computer’s web browser.
- Click on the Street View doll, in the lower right corner, and drag it to the area you want to see with its previous appearance. To do this, it must be a street that is highlighted on the map with a blue line.
- Once you drop the doll, Street View will open to show you the current street level panoramic image saved by Google.
- Click on the clock icon located in the dark rectangle in the upper left corner.
- The timeline that appears shows you the dates available in that area. You can easily move the controller from right to left, and vice versa, to see how the preview changes above the line.
- If you then want to see the image of a specific year in large, simply click on this year and then on the preview image.
It’s that easy to travel to the past with Google Maps. As you will be able to verify for yourself, the register of images varies depending on the area you may possibly be able to see on previous dates. For example, the big ones have a larger catalog of images, since the Street View car is more and more outdated there.
Undoubtedly, this feature of Google Maps is very useful for looking back and remembering what the area you lived in looked like 10 or 15 years ago. It’s also interesting to see how quickly cities change, usually for the better. If you can possibly get the most out of the map platform, we will show you the best tips for Google Maps, some of them will surely surprise you.
Related Topics: Google Maps